"Creating Mail Merge Recipients List"
The mail merge recipients list (or data source) is one of the fundamental elements that are needed when doing the mail merge.
The data source (recipients list) contains the data that will change with each record, such as names, identification numbers, address, etc. You have two choices:
- create a new data source
- use a pre-existing source (such as Contacts from Microsoft Outlook)
You also can choose which entries to be included in your data source without having to open it, change the appropriate entries, and then save the changes. That's means you can simply add or delete data source entries and fields.
To create a New Data Source
- From the Mailings tab, in the Start Mail Merge group, click on Start Mail Merge icon and from the menu appear, select the desired options to create your mail merge. For example: Select Letters.
- Click the Select Recipients icon and select Type New List
from the list appears.
- From the New Address List dialog box displayed, click the Customize Columns button.
- From the Customize Address List dialog box displayed, you can add, delete, rename, move up or down the existing field names. Click OK when finish.
- Click in a field to add information. In the appropriate fields, type the desired information for the data source.
- You can add the entries by clicking on the New Entry button and add more entries.
- When all entries are complete, click OK.
- From the Save Address List dialog box displayed, using the Save in drop-down list or Favorite Links section, navigate to the desired save location (such as desktop).
- In the File name: text box, type the desired name for your address list (such as My Address Lists).
- Click the Save button.
Note: The default save location is My Data Sources and the file extension is .mdb (Microsoft Office Address Lists).
To access or edit the recipient lists
- Open the main document.
- From the Mailings tab, in the Start Mail Merge group, click on Edit Recipient List icon.
- From the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box displayed, select the desired entry by clicking on the Data sources: section.
- Click the Edit button.
- From the Edit Data Source dialog box displayed, edit the desired entry and click the OK button when finish.
- Click Yes if any message pop-up.
- Click OK.
Tip: Before creating the mail merge recipients list (data source), do plan out the data you want to include. Although you can edit fields after creating your data source, it is most efficient to know which fields will be included in the first place.
Creating Merged Letters in Word 2007
Creating Merged Envelopes in Word 2007
Creating Mailing Labels in Word 2007
Creating an E-mail Merge in Word 2007
2007 Save and Save As Features
Can't find what you're looking for? Try Google Search!
Back to Top
You're viewing the Word 2007 mail merge recipients info page, click here to go back to the Home Page
Add To Your Social Bookmarks: