"Microsoft Excel: Knowing the Screen Elements, Entering and Saving Your Spreadsheet Data"
Microsoft Excel is an advanced computer-based spreadsheet, which is used to store data in columns and rows which can then be organized and/or processed. Spreadsheet is simply a sheet that contains many columns and rows.
To get started, follow the guides below:
To start Excel using the Windows Start menu
Note: For previous version of Office - Click on the Start button, point to Programs and click on Microsoft Excel.
- Click on the Start button, point to Programs, following by Microsoft Office and click on Microsoft Office Excel 2003.
- Immediately you will see the screen shown below. In the right hand side of the screen, the Getting Started task pane provides help to you.
- If you are not using it at the moment, click on the Close icon to close it.
- The Microsoft Office Excel 2003 screen elements:
By default, Microsoft Excel workbook contains 3 blank worksheets, which are identified by tabs displaying along the bottom of the screen.
To enter text into a worksheet
- Select the cell in which you want to enter the text and then type in the text.
- Text entries are left aligned by default.
To enter numbers into a worksheet
- Select the cell in which you want to enter a number and type in the number.
- If you want to enter a negative number, type a minus sign in front of it or enclose it in parentheses (bracket), e.g. -15 or (15).
- To indicate decimal places, you type a full stop such as 125.89.
- The numbers will be right aligned by default.
To save a workbook
- From File menu, click Save.
- If it is a new file, the Save As dialog box will appear. If necessary select a different folder that you may wish to save the file in.
- Enter a name in the File name: text box.
- Click on the Save button.
To minimize a workbook window
- Click on the Minimize button in the top right-hand corner of the workbook window.
Note: If you minimize the window, the file is not close yet. To re-open the program, just click on the 'minimized program icon' on the window taskbar.
To close a file
- From the File menu, click Close.
- You will be asked if you wish to save any changes you have made to the file. Select Yes to save, or No to ignore the changes.
- If you are saving a new file, the Save As dialog box will display. In the File name text box, enter a name and click on the Save button.
To exit Microsoft Excel
- From the File menu, click Exit.
- If you have saved all the changes made in the active workbook files, Microsoft Excel will close.
- If you have not saved all the changes, the Save confirmation box will be displayed.
- To save the current workbook file before exiting, select Yes.
- To exit without saving the file, select No.
- To cancel the exit command, select Cancel or press Esc.
Can't find what you're looking for? Try Google Search!
Back to Top
>> Next Topic : Start Exploring Microsoft Office Excel!
You're viewing the Microsoft Excel 2003 info page, click here to go back to the Home Page
Add To Your Social Bookmarks: